I am Professor of Electrical and
Computer Engineering at the
University of California, San Diego.
I joined UCSD in July of 1995. Prior to that, I was a Visiting Assistant
Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University
of Minnesota, and a postdoctoral fellow and lecturer in Electrical Engineering
at Stanford University. I received my Ph.D. from Stanford University in 1993
and my B.S.E.E. from the California Institute of Technology in 1987.
At UCSD, I was the Director of the
Center for Wireless Communications
from 2006 to 2008, and the Associate Dean for Students of the
Jacobs School of Engineering
from 2013 to 2016. I am also affiliated with the
California Institute for Telecommunications
and Information Technology.
I do research on image and video compression, wireless communications, and image and video processing.
This is my new children's book. It's aimed at ages 8 to 12. It teaches a little bit about error correction
coding and other concepts in wireless communications in the form of a fictional story.
Kids are passing secret messages in school, which gets them in trouble
at school when someone changes one bit in the message. But when there's a hostage crisis in a bank, the error
correction code ends up playing an unexpected role.
The book is available from amazon.co.uk
and the UCSD bookstore, among other outlets.
Here's what one parent wrote to me:
Thank you for writing a fine book "The Secret Code Menace".
I saw it for sale at ISIT last week and bought a copy. My 8-year old son loved it!
It's a great way to introduce Hamming codes to the younger audience. The math is still a bit advanced for him,
but my son had a great time sending and correcting secret messages.
Winter Quarter 2017 Teaching:
- ECE 191: Capstone Senior Design Project
- Click here for general purpose information about ECE 191
here for the web site for ECE 191 Winter Quarter 2017
Conference and Editorial Positions:
- Senior Editor, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2010-2013
- Member, Technical Program Committee, Picture Coding Symposium 2013
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2006-2009
- Member, Technical Program Committee, ICIP 2011
International Conference on Image Processing
- Member, Technical Program Committee, ICME 2011 AVCC Workshop
- Member, Technical Program Committee, QoMex 2009, 2010, 2011
International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience
- Local Arrangements Co-Chair, IEEE Intl. Conference on Image Processing,
- Member, Technical Program Committee, ACIVS (Advanced Concepts for
Intelligent Vision Systems) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
- Member, Technical Program Committee, Packet Video 2007, 2009.
- Member, Technical Program Committee, Wireless Personal Multimedia
Conference-2006 (WPMC-2006), La Jolla, California, Sep 17-20, 2006.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 2003-2005
- Senior Editor, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications,
- Program Committe Member, ISSPA 2005 -- the 8th International
Symposium on Signal Processing and Its Applications,
Aug 29 - Sep 1, Sydney, Australia
- Session Chair for the session on "Image and Video Coding Systems",
37th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers,
November 9-12, 2003, Pacific Grove, California.
- Member, Technical Program Committee, ICISP (Intl. Conf. on Image
and Signal Processing), 2002, 2003
- Program Committee Member and U.S. Liaison,
International Symposium on Image/Video Communications over
Fixed and Mobile Networks (April, 2000).
- Associate Editor, IEEE Communications Letters, 1998-2001
- Co-Guest Editor, Special issue of the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas
in Communications on "Error-resilient image and video coding." June 2000
- Session Chair for Image and Video Coding for Wireless Applications,
2nd Annual UCSD Conference on Wireless Communications, March 1999
- Session Chair for Image Quality Evaluation, EUSIPCO'98,
the IX European Signal Processing Conference, September 1998
- Technical Program Chair, 1998 Information Theory Workshop,
- Session Co-chair for Lossy Source Coding,
1998 Information Theory Workshop, February 1998
- Session Chair for Wavelet/Progressive Image Compression Algorithms,
31st Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, November 1997
My research interests are in data compression and image/video
My current projects are:
- Visibility of packet losses in compressed video
- Fast mode decisions for video compression
- Error concealment and forward error correction for 3D compressed video
Some of my past projects are:
Publications:Click to view a
Students and visiting scholars:
- Keming Cao
- Yunsheng Li
- Jing Liu
- Jerry Peng
- Dr. Annie (Qihang) Peng, visiting scholar
- Qing Song
- Kanke Wu
- Bentao Zhang
- Jacob Strom, visiting scholar, 1996
- Mick Barrett, M.S. 1997, went to Qualcomm
- Alan Merriam, M.S. 1997
- Hakan Persson, visiting scholar, 1997
- Magnus Petterson, visiting scholar, 1997
- Stefan Tjarnlund, visiting scholar, 1997
- Dr. Hyung Hwa Ko, visiting scholar, 1998
- Jon K. Rogers, M.S. 1999
- Jyotsna Somayajula, M.S. 2000
- Dirck Schilling, Ph.D. 2001 went to ViaSat, Inc.
- Tamara Musfeldt, M.S. 2001
- Ivana Mikic, Ph.D. 2002
- Yan Ye, Ph.D. 2002 went to Dolby Labs, then InterDigital
- Heidi Buck, M.S. 2002
- Prof. Joong-Hwan Baek, Visiting Scholar (Hankuk Aviation University, Korea), 2001-2002
- Marco Grangetto, Visiting Scholar (Politecnico di Torino, Italy), 2002
- Song Cen, Ph.D. 2002, went to NextWave
- Laddan Hashemian, M.S. 2003
- Qinghua Zhao, Ph.D. 2004
- Wei Geng, Ph.D. 2004, went to Awarepoint
- Mohammed Mohamedali, M.S. 2004
- Kartikeya Mehrotra, M.S. 2005
- Solmaz Alipour Kivi, M.S. 2006
- Sitaraman Ganapathy, M.S. 2006
- Athanasios Leontaris, Ph.D. 2006 went to Dolby Labs, then Apple
- Yushi Shen, Ph.D. 2006, went to Microsoft Research
- Ramesh Annavajjala, Ph.D. 2006, went to Mitsubishi Electric Research Labs
- Sandeep Kanumuri, Ph.D. 2006
- Vijay Chellappa, M.S. 2006
- Ryan Lustig, M.S. 2007, GoPro
- Laura Toni, visiting scholar, 2007, went to EPFL
- Milos Tesanovic, visiting scholar, 2007
- Andy Huang, Ph.D. 2008
- Dr. Minjoong Rim, visiting scholar, 2008
- Sheu-Sheu Tan, M.S. 2008
- Greg Fleizach, M.Eng 2009
- Jihyun Shin, M.S. 2009
- Mayank Tiwari, Ph.D. 2010, went to Qualcomm
- Maria Bustamante, M.S. 2010, went to Microsoft
- Annie Peng, visiting scholar, 2008-2010, Associate Professor at the Univ. of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC)
- Flora Wang, visiting scholar, 2009-2010
- Seok-Ho Chang, Ph.D. 2010, Associate Prof at Dankook University, Korea
- Ting-Lan Lin, Ph.D. 2011, Associate Prof at Chung Yuan Christian University, Taiwan
- Hobin Kim, Ph.D. 2011
- Ghazaleh Esmaili, Ph.D. 2011
- Suayb Arslan, Ph.D. 2012, went to Quantum Corp, Irvine
- Tu Nguyen, Ph.D. 2013, went to Broadcom
- Yichao (Roger) Shen, M.S. 2013, with Apple Inc. (IMG Video and Realtime Comm.)
- Wenwen Zhou, M.S. 2013, at Cisco
- Dawei Wang, Ph.D. 2013
- Selin Dag, M.S. 2013
- Alan Kang, Ph.D. 2014, went for a postdoc at Children's National Medical Center in Washington DC
- Kashyap Khambatla, Ph.D. 2014, went to Cisco
- Yueh-Lun Chang, Ph.D. 2014
- Seemeen Karimi, Ph.D. 2014
- Arash Vosoughi, Ph.D. 2015
- Madushanka Soysa, Ph.D. 2015
- Kanza Khan, B.S. 2015
- Peizhi (Patrick) Wu, Ph.D. 2016
Honors and awards:
- ICIP 2015 "Top 10%" paper designation for
"Single Underwater Image Enhancement using Depth Estimation based on Blurriness,"
by Y.-T. Peng, X. Zhao and P.C. Cosman.
- 2012 Best Poster Award at the IEEE Conference on Healthcare Informatics,
Imaging, and Systems Biology, for:
"Evaluation of Segmentation Algorithms in CT Scanning," by S. Karimi,
X. Jiang, P.C. Cosman, and H. Martz.
- IEEE GLOBECOM 2008 Best Paper Award for:
"Adaptive Modulation for OFDM-based multiple description progressive
image transmission" by S. Tan, M.J. Rim, P.C. Cosman, and L.B. Milstein.
- Fellow of the IEEE, 2008
- Powell Faculty Fellowship, 1997-1998
- ECE Department Graduate Teaching Award, 1996
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 1996-1999
- National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1994-1995
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1987-1990
- Mabel Beckman Prize (top woman graduate at Caltech), 1987
- Caltech Prize Scholarships, 1984-1986
- Aerospace Corporation Undergraduate Fellowship, 1985-1986
- AT&T Information Systems Scholarship, 1985
- Society of Women Engineers/General Electric Scholarship, 1984-1987
- Member Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi
Click here to meet the family.
Send email to me.